Saturday, January 30, 2010

Genius

It is astonishing to think about the nature of genius. An example is Newton's "Principia" where he lays out the laws of space-time and gravity. Newton developed a basic system of formulas which still work to explain much of physics. The calculation for Mass for instance is M=FA, Mass=Force(Acceleration). However, when I thumb through my copy of the "Principia" I barely understand any of it. I peer into a barely intelligible world. This was written in 1683, 327 years ago!!

This is true of many of the great works of genius. "The Origin of Species" is almost never read, even by Darwinists or anti-Darwinists. "The Federalist Papers" are almost never read even by Constitutionalists.

We need to regain a belief in the responsibility of informed citizenship. It is easy to get bogged down in the time constraints and pains and sorrows of the everyday. But, in my opinion, it is essential to occasionally stretch ourselves into a place in which we might understand something in a new light.

The nature of genius is immortal thought and it can leap across the ages and enter our mind and heart if we allow it. The mind of the genius becomes a conduit for the transmission of the mind of God, to the mind of Man.

We ought to respect great works of genius even if we don't always agree with them and read them more often. I am just beginning "The Origin of Species" even though I know that some aspects of Darwinism have come under serious assault by my fellow "Conservatives."

No comments: